Book Launch ONE DAY Special
Fall brings sweater weather and days built for self-care and comfort. What better way to find some hygge* than with a new book and that special something-something from the yarn store that you’ve had your eye on?
hyg·ge [ˈho͞oɡə, ˈho͝oɡə] NOUN: a quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being.
Next week Baaad Anna’s has partnered with our yarn-loving neighbour Iron Dog Books on a special night of hygge:
Sharp Notions is a book of personal essays from diverse voices about their relationships to the fibre arts.
Sometimes the reliability of a knit stitch, the steady rocking of a quilting needle, the solid structure of a loom is all you have. During the pandemic, fibre arts newbies discovered and lapsed crafters rediscovered that picking up some sticks and string or a needle and thread is the perfect way to reduce stress, quell anxiety, and foster creativity, a remedy to endless hours of doom-scrolling.
Knitting, crochet, embroidery, weaving, beading, sewing, quilting, textiles – the fibre arts fuel intense passions that can often border on obsession. Chances are that you or someone close to you is currently in an ecstatic relationship with yarn, thread, or fabric. As we struggle with the pressures, anxieties, and impacts of daily life, fibre arts are an antidote, mirror, and metaphor for so many of life’s challenges. Part time-machine, part meditation app, the simple act of working with one’s hands can instantly ease the overwhelming scope of living to a human scale and to the present moment.
In this anthology, writers and artists from different backgrounds contemplate their complex relationships with the fibre arts and the intersections of creative practice and identity, technology, memory, climate change, trauma, chronic illness, and disability.
Accompanied by full-colour photographs throughout, these powerful and inspiring essays challenge the traditional view of crafting and examine the role, purpose, joy, and necessity of craft amid the alienation of contemporary life.
Together we will be hosting the following:
- 6PM to 7PM: drop-in fibre arts social at Iron Dog Books
- 7PM to 8PM: reading and discussion of book, followed by a brief question period (limited admission; pick up free-of-charge tickets at Eventbrite)
- 8PM to 9:30PM: stitch circle at Iron Dog Books AND after-hours opening at Baaad Anna’s
AND this wouldn’t be a special event without a ONE DAY SPECIAL: Baaad Anna’s will be offering 30% of any one in-store item with the purchase of Sharp Notions from Iron Dog Books. Is there that something-special you have had your eye on? Now you can head home with it, a new book and an invitation to enjoy the season of Hygge ahead.
Offer will also be available for those not able to make it to the store. One 30% discount on one Baaad Anna’s item per customer. Discount valid Thursday, October 26, 2023 only. Here are the details:
- In-person customers: present a valid proof of purchase of Sharp Notions from Iron Dog books to receive 30% off a single item at Baaad Anna’s on Thursday, October 26, 2023. Baaad Anna’s regular hours are 11am-6pm. The store will re-open from 8:00pm to 9:30pm for the special after-hours shop.
- Online store customers: Purchase Sharp Notions from shop.irondogbooks on October 26 and leave a phone message (604-255-2577) at Baaad Anna’s with your number & requested discount item by midnight. Baaad Anna’s staff will follow up with all qualifying purchases by phone.