Skip to content

Holiday Sock Help!

December 12, 2018

Hey lovely knitty community. I am wondering if I can ask for your help in this busy, busy season? We are 8 pairs away from being able to donate socks to each resident of the Franklin Street Modular Housing, with the hope that we could deliver these before the holidays.

Do you have any under-loved pair of adult-sized socks that you could donate, or perhaps have the time or inclination to quick-knit a thicker pair?

Thick yarn for a quick knit!

The Franklin Street Modular Housing units opened its doors earlier this year to 39 homeless or marginally housed individuals from within our East Vancouver community. The housing manager heard about the socky welcome that we donated to the Kaslo modular housing unit in the summer and asked if we might be able to do the same for his residents. Apparently socks convey a perfect welcome from the community along with a symbolic offering of warm feet.

One down, one to go…!

I have taken up my needles and worked through a single worsted weight sock in about 4 hours… if anyone would like to join me, we have a basket of donated yarns to choose from! Please help if you can!! Size, shape and colour do not really matter as there are many shapes of feet that will be able to choose from these… there’s a sock for every preference!

Here’s the first 31 pairs already complete!

10 Comments leave one →
  1. Stephanie Freire permalink
    December 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Hi, I love that you are doing this project. I am in PEI, I will not have time to knit a pair of socks and get them to you but I do have a new pair of slippers that I could express to you if that would be suitable. Please let me know. good luck getting to 39!

• baaadannas permalink*
      December 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Stephanie… that is unbelievably generous of you! I think we will hit the 39 pairs pretty soon, so please do not spend extra time and money at this busy time of year to send these across the country today! We will definitely continue on this project with another of the new modular housing units cause there are 10 sites with over 600 units that have already been either built or confirmed around the city, and more being discussed; so if you want to send them regular post in the new year, or knit a pair when you have more time and then send them together, we are certainly not in a hurry but would love to have your involvement! Happy holidays and thank you for reaching out!!

2. Margit permalink
    December 14, 2018 1:28 am

i will have a pair knit by next wednesday at the latest.

3. Julie permalink
    December 13, 2018 11:33 pm

will stop by Friday sometime.

• baaadannas permalink*
      December 14, 2018 2:39 am

Amazing! Thank you so much Julie!

4. Margit permalink
    December 13, 2018 8:35 pm

I will knit a pair and have it done by nect eednesdsy at the latest.
    I know you say size does not matter…butare they all guys there or women also?

5. Julie Ourom permalink
    December 12, 2018 11:52 pm

I have a pair for you, will try and drop them off in the next day or so (between showers)

• baaadannas permalink*
      December 13, 2018 12:03 am

Thank you Julie! Would greatly appreciate it!!

• Margit permalink
        December 14, 2018 1:31 am

i do not understand why my two added comments do not show up…in any case, i am knitting a pair now for the project.

• baaadannas permalink*
          December 14, 2018 2:37 am

Thank you sooo much Margit!