Virtual Give Back Sunday: Calling All Socks!
We’re taking Give Back Sundays online again! Join us this Sunday, June 14th, from 1-2:30pm for some quality charity knitting time on Zoom (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83921967483?pwd=VmpDaGR3RlRTQ1BDaEVOTTA0SkRGZz09, Meeting ID: 839 2196 7483, Password: 862005).
While we can’t be together in person yet, we can still knit something together now that will become a beautiful donated item at a later date. For the past two Give Back Sundays we have knit bias squares to contribute to patch blankets that will be donated to those in need in the Downtown Eastside. We’ve had some dropped off already and seen some inspiring Instagram photos of the squares community members have knit and they are all beautiful!
This Sunday we’ll continue with bias squares as well as adding socks to the lineup! Last week, Baaad Anna’s donated 58 pairs of socks to a Vancouver modular housing project and we’re gearing up to donate 52 pairs of socks to another temporary modular housing unit in the Downtown Eastside. So far we have 12 pairs towards our goal and would love for you to put some charity socks on your needles to help us get closer to our magic number of 52.
If you are interested in knitting some socks for donation, we need socks of all shapes, sizes and colours, but most needed are large-sized in neutral colours. We are also accepting donations of:
- Sock yarns: Any washable yarn with some nylon in it for circular sock machine cranking (we have someone who is offering to crank out sock tubes for us)
- Heel/toe knitters: The sock tubes have been donated to us that just need to be completed into socks with the addition of heels, toes, and cuffs; just come by the store to pick up tubes!
- Any already completed under-loved hand knit socks FOs (finished objects) in like-new condition
We hope to see your friendly faces on Sunday for socks, bias squares or any other charity knitting that’s on your needles. The past few Give Back Sundays have been filled with warm, friendly conversation and lots of laughter and we are sure this Sunday will be too.
If you’re choosing to do bias squares for the blankets here’s what you need to know:
- We recommend using superwash, acrylic or other yarn blends that won’t felt in the wash
- Use any weight or colour of yarn in your stash and you can marl, colour block, or stick with a single colour (no rules!)
- We are using this free Ravelry pattern called ‘Any Size Any Yarn Garter Square’ by Holly Terrell for the squares to make sure that each square is similar
- Knit the pattern as written until one side of your square measures 8 inches and then begin the decrease section.
If you are ready to drop your charity knits off please bring them by the store any day between 11am – 2pm. Knock on the door and our friendly staff will have a donation bin for you to place them in.
Baaad Anna’s has a long-standing commitment to serving the community. Our Give Back Sundays take place on the second Sunday of every month and we happily and gratefully collect knit, crocheted or woven donations all year round. Mark your calendars as the next one will be happening on July 12th.
We are so grateful to everyone that contributes to these community projects – you are making a difference!