Give Back Sunday Summer Update and Socks Knitters Needed!
We are going to be taking a small Give Back Sunday break over the summer but the charity knitting continues! Our regularly scheduled Sunday knit times for July and August will be postponed but we will be back in September with lots of fun progress updates on our bias square blanket project and our goal towards 52 pairs of socks that we will be donating to a temporary modular housing project in the Downtown Eastside.
Donation socks knit by some amazing charity knitters in our community.
Recently, Baaad Anna’s donated 58 pairs of socks to a Vancouver modular housing project and we’re gearing up to donate another 52 pairs of socks to yet another temporary modular housing unit in the Downtown Eastside. So far we have about 12 pairs towards our goal and would love for you to put some charity socks on your needles to help us get closer to our magic number of 52.
Take us home! These colourful sock tubes need someone to take them home and add heels, toes and cuffs.
If you are interested in knitting some socks for donation, we need socks of all shapes, sizes and colours, but most needed are large-sized in neutral colours. We are also accepting donations of:
- Sock yarns: Any washable yarn with some nylon in it for circular sock machine cranking (we have someone who is offering to crank out sock tubes for us)
- Heel/toe knitters: The sock tubes have been donated to us that just need to be completed into socks with the addition of heels, toes, and cuffs; just come by the store to pick up tubes!
- Any already completed under-loved hand knit socks FOs (finished objects) in like-new condition
We are also continuing to accept bias squares that we’ll be using for patchwork blankets. If you’re choose to do bias squares for the blankets here’s what you need to know:
- We recommend using superwash, acrylic or other yarn blends that won’t felt in the wash
- Use any weight or colour of yarn in your stash and you can marl, colour block, or stick with a single colour (no rules!)
- We are using this free Ravelry pattern called ‘Any Size Any Yarn Garter Square’ by Holly Terrell for the squares to make sure that each square is similar
- Knit the pattern as written until one side of your square measures 8 inches and then begin the decrease section.
Some of the lovely bias squares that have been donated so far!
If you are ready to drop your charity knits off please bring them by the store any day between 11am – 2pm. Knock on the door and our friendly staff will have a donation bin for you to place them in.
Don’t forget to mark your calendars for the fall, here are the Give Back Sunday dates for the rest of 2020:
- Sunday, September 13 – 1-2:30pm
- Sunday, October 11 – 1-2:30pm
- Sunday, November 8 – 1-2:30pm
- Sunday, December 13 – 1-2:30pm
Baaad Anna’s has a long-standing commitment to serving the community. Our Give Back Sundays typically take place on the second Sunday of every month and we happily and gratefully collect knit, crocheted or woven donations all year round.
We are so grateful to everyone that contributes to these community projects – you are making a difference!