NEW YARN: LandCloud Samoyed
Poppy’s Pompom Samoyed yarn is a Canadian luxuriously homegrown and spun locally from the fur of a gorgeous breed of angora-soft dog!
Check out the benefits of knitting with dog hair:
- Customers have said it is the softest yarn; as soft as cashmere and angora – it has been graded with a 21.9 micron count. That’s the same as baby alpaca or ultrafine merino.
- Chiengora is scientifically proven to be 42% warmer than wool yarn.
- Yarn blooms into a gorgeous halo with none of the itch of mohair.
- Practical – Many of us already have dogs as part of the family; they’re much easier to live with than a herd of alpaca in a two-bedroom apartment.
- Sustainable – There are already millions of dogs, each with an abundance of fur.
- Hypoallergenic – Dander associated with dog allergies is washed off in the process.
- Ethical – We source our fur locally and treat our furry friends very well. We brush them to collect their fur.
- Environmentally conscious- making use of fur that would otherwise end up in a landfill and milled in Canada.
DK Weight – made from 75% Samoyed and 25% merino. There are approximately 125 yards; 2oz: 3 ply.
Poppy’s Pompom has a beautiful explanation of the history of spinning dog yarn:
Image courtesy of Hakai Magazine
In the area now known as British Columbia and Washington State, the Coast Salish peoples long used dog fur from the now extinct Salish Wool Dog to make clothing, capes and blankets. As fur trading posts became established in the area, the introduction of imported and inexpensive machine-made blankets lowered the value of the dog fibre blanket. By the mid-1800’s, this resulted not only in the decline of the use of dog fibre, but the eventual extinction of the Salish Wool Dog.
This will be launched at Knit City next weekend, but if you want to get your hands on a skein beforehand, we have 10 available currently in store and online! Check them out here.
2 thoughts on “NEW YARN: LandCloud Samoyed”
looking for some one who spins the samoyed fur to yarn
Check out PomPom Yarns